Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Daily Ride

So I set out yesterday with the big C in mind, I had a route planed out that would have broke the C mark by a many mile's.
I had a couple goal's in mind for this ride, time my commute to work and get to NBX to grab a few C02's then head out around the reservoir on RT 14.

Two out of three task's were completed.
Commute to work 1:50 minute's. (West Warwick to Westerly)
Next to do, get to NBX for C02.
I believe around mile 68 or so I arrive At NBX on Boston Neck RD. inn Narragansett. As I walked in the front door I think wow this place is pedal head's dream. Wall to Wall goodies. I give the Legend his mountain dew and chat it up a bit. I grab the last threaded C02, a glance at a map, then filled my bottle's in the kitchen area.

I'm back in the saddle, Rt 1 to Rt 102 here I come. I hit 102 and it hits me back with a strong head wind. I thought I was in a tunnel.
The mile's are falling but not as fast as the air from the snake bite in the rear tire.
DAMN mile 85
I change the flat and carry on. Left with no tube or c02 I decide to hit Rt 117 in Coventry and head for home.
I'm cruising along (on a downward angle) when I encounter a econovan in the break down lane on my side. As I get approach the van I can see the van is moving backwards down the hill, the front end swerving back and forth. I am now forced way out into the road. I was a bit on edge with the situation so as I ride by I make the mistake of thinking out loud. What the ---- are you doing must have come out louder then I thought.(damn head phone effect)
This man then proceeds to track me down and wave me over to start a confrontation with me. He asked me if there was a question I had for him, I tried to blow of the situation and said no. He gets into the fact of what I said. I tell him politely, you were driving backwards downhill the wrong way. I was backing towards my mail box he says.
He than comes out with (You should see how you ------- Idiot's Drive). He then proceeds to tell me how he would like to get out and kick my ass. I play it off with a snide ya what ever due to the fact that a 60 year old man is behind the wheel. He then tells me to get the hell out of here so I smile and nod, say good bye and get in front of his van in the shoulder. He then proceeds to gas it a bit towards me as I creep away. As we part way's I wave a tell him have a good day as he is still bitching.
I was a bit bothered by the encounter and stewed about it for the remainder of my ride.
98 and a bit is where I ended my ride.
Damn C still stands.
Well I'm off to tube up the MTB rear tire before my putt in the wood's.

1 comment:

  1. Fights with mini vans? Your on your way to becoming a true roadie..

    ReplyDelete